F R E Q U E N T L Y   A S K E D   Q U E S T I O N S

Do you ever give raw or unedited images?

No, my editing style is what makes me stand out in a very saturated market, as well as a huge reason why you are choosing me! None of the photos you see on my website are un-edited. Editing is huge part of the magic that brings my photos to their finish, and it is something I've been working years to perfect (and still am). 

How many images will we get?

Let me start by saying that each session is completely different, so the number of images you receive can change from package to package. One thing I don't do is set restrictions on the number of images you receive. I used to do it that way, but who am I to choose which images you'll really love! Now this doesn't mean that you will get every single image I take. Some images end up blurry, or your eyes may be closed, and you probably don't want hundreds of duplicates. I promise to deliver the best images to you, and to make sure that you have more than enough photographs that you will cherish forever!

What is your payment structure?

I require a 30% deposit of the total session/package cost at the time of signing your contract. The remaining 70% is due 4 weeks before weddings, and 2 days before any other regular sessions. I do offer payment plans in increments of 3 or 4 if that is something that is needed!

What is your turnaround time?

This really depends on the time of year, but for regular sessions it usually takes 4 weeks or less and weddings take about 8 weeks or less! I take my time with each image and the collection as a whole, so I want to make sure you are getting exactly what you and the photos deserve!

Do you travel/how much are your travel costs?

I LOVE traveling and am always up for coming to you, wherever that may be! I travel all over the state of Colorado and worldwide as well. For travels in state, I charge $0.52/mile outside of a 20 mile radius of my home base in Colorado Springs, Colorado. For out of state/international travels, I charge based on my transportation, flight, and stay (including 1 meal per day)! I don't feel the need to charge anything other than that, because it's not about me, it's about being there to capture you and your life, whatever you may want me there for!

Do you offer discounts/mini sessions?

The answer to this one is pretty simple. No, I do not offer discounts or mini sessions! I put 100% of myself into the work that you see on my website and other galleries. My prices are set the way they are for a reason, and because I am sustaining a full-time photography business 

(which comes with a lot of expenses). I whole-heartedly believe in the work that I produce and the experience that I give my clients, and I know that it is worth every penny.

What do you do in case of bad 


If you are a native to Colorado like me, you know the weather is completely unpredictable and if the weather is ever to the point where you or I would not feel comfortable outside, then we will work together to reschedule for a better time. *I do not have an indoor studio to move our session to. However, I do highly encourage my couples to shoot in what might not seem like ideal weather, because that is when the most unique and fun images come out!

What do you do if we need to cancel or reschedule our shoot or wedding?

In the unfortunate scenario that you need to cancel or reschedule any type of shoot (wedding or non-wedding), the original deposit is [by law] non-refundable. A new deposit will need to be made if you are rescheduling.

Can you help me with outfit planning?

I provide a styling guide with every client before their scheduled session. These are guidelines and tips for how to dress and what to pair together. Although it is mainly focused on couples, all of the information is great for family sessions as well!